CHATTANOOGA, TN – May 23, 2019 – “Dinosaur Train: The Traveling Exhibit,” an exhibit based on The Jim Henson Company’s popular PBS KIDS TV series, will roll in May 25-Sept. 8 at the Creative Discovery Museum.
“Dinosaur Train: The Traveling Exhibit,” created by The Magic House in collaboration with The Jim Henson Company, features a curious Tyrannosaurus Rex named Buddy who travels the world to discover everything there is to know about dinosaurs. This new exhibit will transport kids back to the time of dinosaurs and encourage basic scientific learning through fun, hands-on activities.
“Dinosaur Train” embraces and celebrates the fascination that kids have with dinosaurs and trains, while encouraging basic scientific thinking skills. Kids will be able to join Buddy and his adoptive Pteranodon family on a whimsical journey to unearth basic concepts in life science, natural history and paleontology. As children and families make their way through the exhibit, they will explore five distinct areas:
• Nest: Dress up and pretend to be a member of the Pteranodon family, snuggle in soft leaf-shaped pillows to read Dinosaur Train books, and pose for a photo with Mrs. Pteranodon.
• Train Station: Visit the ticket booth to get a ticket specific to one of the three time periods of the Mesozoic Era, decorate your very own Junior Conductor hat and wear it with pride, and dance to some of Buddy’s favorite songs from the show – "I’m a T-Rex" and "Great Big Stomping Dinosaur Feet."
• Dinosaur Train: Watch a video and learn how a steam engine works, pull the cord of the train’s whistle to alert passengers that the train is leaving the station, and invite a friend to play a hands-on Dinosaur Train board game.
• Junior Conductor Academy: Tap the letter of the “Dinosaurs A to Z” display to flip screen and see and hear the dinosaurs name, compare the size of your femur with that of an Apatosaurus, feed three dinosaur based on their three different diets, and make foot print impressions by pressing fossil stones into clay.
• Big Pond: Explore, dig, and make discoveries using paleontology brushes along the perimeter of the beach, go on a scavenger hunt to identify animals that lived alongside the dinosaurs from various animal families, crawl through a tree trunk, and cook a Pteranodon family feast of fish over the fire.
Local sponsorship for this exhibit is provided by the First Tennessee Foundation and Little Debbie. National sponsorship of the exhibit is provided by The Boeing Company, the Employees Community Fund of Boeing St. Louis, Sally and Bill Canfield, the Crawford Taylor Foundation, Judy and Jerry Kent, Monsanto Company and Sigma-Aldrich.
For more information, visit www.cdmfun.org.
About Creative Discovery Museum
Creative Discovery Museum is recognized as one of the top children’s museums in the nation. It is a non-profit organization dedicated to educational enrichment for children ages 4 months to 12 through interactive, hands-on experiences that foster creative and critical thinking.
Creative Discovery Museum focuses on a broad range of areas encompassed by Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Technology and the Sciences. In addition to its exhibits, Creative Discovery Museum provides local residents and visitors with special events, educational programming, teacher resources for the classroom, field trips, after school programming, early childhood education classes, artist residencies, camps, art lessons, science demonstrations, and a branch of the local library. Creative Discovery Museum is a funded agency of ArtsBuild and also receives funding support from Tennessee Arts Commission and the Institute of Museum and Library Services. For more information, visit www.cdmfun.org.
# # #