MURFREESBORO, TN – Sept. 19, 2019 – Hit the road with America’s most iconic and beloved motorcycle in Hands-On Harley-Davidson™, an interactive exhibit that rolls in as part of a national tour Sept. 21-Jan. 12, 2020 to the Discovery Center at Murfree Spring.
Visitors can explore a kid-sized engineering lab and motorcycle dealership; use science, technology, engineering, and math concepts to dream up a bike design, build a prototype; and take it for a “test drive.” Special activities on opening day (10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21) will include a combustion demonstration with Gummi Bears and potassium chlorate, rubber-making and biker patch design.
In the exhibit’s Engineering Lab, a set of eight activities will introduce children to science and engineering concepts through creative, hands-on experiments:
• Send golf balls through multiple test runs of jump tracks, loop tracks, roller coaster tracks, and more. Motion-tracking software will allow children to explore how different release heights and positions will impact the ball’s speed, distance, and trajectory.
• Visitors can design their own freestyle ramps, tracks, and jumps to see first-hand how different factors like friction and gravity affect a golf ball’s motion.
In a replica dealership, children will get a first-hand look at what goes into the ultimate riding experience:
• They’ll be able to customize their dream bike with decals, license plates, and more, and check-out their purchases at the cash register.
• A kid-sized motorcycle inspired by a real Harley-Davidson® Road King® and a selection of interactive videos that explore the best rides across the globe will let children feel the power of the engine and the wind in their face.
• In the service department, visitors will peak in on real motorcycle mechanics hard at work, building and repairing bikes.
National tour sponsored by Harley-Davidson Motor Co. Locally sponsored by Rutherford County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Hands-On Harley-Davidson was created by the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum in collaboration with Harley-Davidson Motor Company. Hands-On Harley-Davidson and Harley-Davidson are trademarks of H-D and are used with permission.
For more information, visit www.explorethedc.org/harley.
About the Discovery Center
The Discovery Center at Murfree Spring is a hands-on, environmental, cultural and educational museum located in the heart of Middle Tennessee. More than 120,000 children and families visit annually, exploring exhibits and participating in programs that promote STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts & math) education. Adjacent to the Center is the protected Murfree Spring wetlands, a natural habitat for a variety of fish, amphibians and birds. Located at 502 S.E. Broad Street in Murfreesboro, TN, the Center is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 1-5 p.m. on Sunday. For more information, visit www.explorethedc.org or call 615-890-2300.
Engaging Curious Minds to Fuel the Future.
# # #