NASHVILLE, TN – June 28, 2019 – Nashville International Airport generated approximately $7.1 billion in total economic impact to the Middle Tennessee economy in 2018, according to a new study conducted by research firm Martin Associates. The study reveals the airport's economic impact has more than doubled since 2012 - up from $3.5 billion.
Additional findings show more than 67,000 area jobs and $2.8 billion in personal income are supported by activity at BNA, which also produced hundreds of millions of tax dollars that fill state, local and federal coffers. As pointed out in the study, Nashville International Airport receives no local taxes.
The economic impact study analyzed job creation, personal income growth, tax revenue generated, and other factors during the 2018 calendar year. Aviation activity at BNA generated the following:
- 67,432 Tennessee jobs and $2.8 billion in personal income.
- $6 billion of business revenue to firms providing goods and services at the airport and to the local visitor industry.
- $168 million in state and local taxes and $224 million in federal aviation-specific taxes.
- 4.4 million visitors arriving through BNA spent $2.9 billion in the greater Nashville area for food, lodging, entertainment, retail, transportation services, and more.
- In 2018, some 16 million passengers traveled through BNA, an increase of 13.2 percent over the previous year, setting an all-time passenger record for the sixth consecutive calendar year.
The study also analyzed the impacts of Nashville's John C. Tune Airport (JWN), located just west of downtown. The leading general aviation airport in the state, JWN hosted 8,000 visitors and contributed $35.3 million in total economic impact, while supporting 327 jobs, generating $1.1 million in state and local taxes, and producing $19.2 million in personal income.
For more information and to read the full economic impact study, visit www.flynashville.com/about/Pages/economic-impact.aspx.
About Nashville International Airport
Launched in July 2016, BNA Vision is the airport's dynamic growth and expansion plan for Nashville International Airport. Upon its completion in 2023, BNA Vision will include additional parking garages, new Concourse D and terminal wings, expanded central terminal and security checkpoint, a state-of-the-art International Arrivals Facility, an airport administration building, hotel and potential transit connection. Take a virtual 360-degree tour, view renderings and watch the BNA Vision video at BNAvision.com.
Having served 16 million passengers in 2018, Nashville International Airport (BNA) is one of the fastest growing airports in North America. BNA serves 540 daily flights to more than 70 nonstop destinations. With a $7.1 billion total economic impact, BNA is the 33rd busiest airport in the U.S. BNA receives no local tax dollars. For more information, visit flynashville.com. Follow us on Facebook: @NashvilleInternationalAirport, Twitter: @Fly_Nashville and Instagram: @FlyNashville. Learn more about BNA Vision, our growth and expansion plan for the airport, at www.BNAVision.com.
# # #